Wednesday 27 February 2013

Anything You Want...


From an early age it seems to be instilled in most of us that we shouldn't want. Wanting is bad, selfish and to be avoided at all costs, or so we're told at school, at church, and by our parents and elders.

Of course it's important to teach children that everything has a value and some things have to be deserved and earned etc, and you can understand the harassed parent having to tell their child over and over again that they can't have everything. There's nothing worse than trying to do your shopping whilst dragging along a spoilt brat with a bad case of the ‘I wants’, so my mother tells me...



But why do the words 'I want' have such a bad reputation?

 My early experience of asking for what I wanted usually ended with hearing the phrases such as
'I wants get smacked bottoms!' or 'I wants don't get!'

Now, from an education standpoint you might say that this is just a way to teach children that they should ask nicely for things, but from a more negative angle, it programs us very early on, to assume that we can't have what we want.

Most of us carry similar subconscious programming into our adult lives, so that whenever we think about buying or doing something for ourselves, that nagging voice at the back of our minds automatically leaps forwards and tells us we're being naughty or that we shouldn't buy, do or ask for whatever it is.

The result is, that as adults, many of us don't know how to ask for what we want, and certainly don't think we deserve it.

As a clairvoyant, this is a theme I come across rather a lot when giving readings, especially for mums, and women in general. 

Many of us mistake self-care as being selfish, and very often fail to put ourselves first, even when we really need to, much to our own detriment. We seem to hold the mistaken belief that looking after yourself is somehow wrong, when it is actually your most important responsibility.   

Looking after others is fine but how can you possibly look after anybody else if you can't look after yourself?

I only truly began to realise this a few years ago. I was having a particularly difficult time in my life, my relationship with my partner was breaking down and I was unhappy in my job. I unloaded my problems on to a very wise friend of mine, and asked her what I should do?

I argued the point that I should be doing this, and I should be doing that in order to be a good person. I was going around in circles and I had no idea what to do.

My friend Jeanette stopped me in my tracks, by asking me the one question I had avoided.

"Never mind all that Helen, what do you actually want?"

"But that's selfish." I replied

"Helen, it's your life; you're allowed to be selfish!"

It was so obvious, and I'd completely missed the point.

This is your life, your chance to do whatever you want. There's no need to get bogged down in other people's agendas or to be manipulated by their wants, just remember what yours are.

If you don't remember, why not sit down and think of some new ones. Ask yourself what you want; what will make you happy?

Then ask yourself, how do I achieve that?

 Followed by what small but manageable step can I take today towards achieving my goal?

This is a wonderful way to feel positive and more empowered. You can become your own personal life coach, cheering yourself along to better things.

So, tell me what you want, what you really, really want!


16 comments:

  1. Helen your title grabbed me with a big YES and your closing sentence has me dancing in my chair to the Spice Girls refrain :) Last night I watched a PBS documentary about the women's movement and all the pioneers that have helped us claim what we want without the guilt - SO GRATEFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it is a particularly hard one for us ladies isn't it? The outdated "dutiful wife & daughter" stigma is still hanging around, but not for long!

      Delete
  2. oh, yes, the big heavy Want. We all have wants - they make us who we are. And getting them (sometimes) help us to be the happy thriving people we were meant to be.

    I started with simple things - when asked what type of food I'd like I always say Thai! I'm fortunate that lots of my friends like Thai food, and that I get to enjoy it quite often. And because I often get to have it, when I'm with people who prefer something else, that's okay too.

    Hugs and butterflies,
    ~Teresa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gimme, gimme doesn't get ... don't you know your manners yet! You've touched on a refrain from my past too. (Though I'm also hearing the Spice Girls too! LOL)

    Please may I have? Takes out the passion, doesn't it? It has taken me years to become okay with wanting. This blog is timely, fresh and your message is so important. As a grandma, I see my eldest daughter asking her girls what they want. And my heart lifts!

    So, Helen, what do you want? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Helen. I was worried about this with my own kids and didn't want them get that whole it's selfish to want thing stuck in their head. So they have a wish list. When they see something they really want or an activity they really want to do we put it on the list. Eventually it usually happens (or gets purchased for their b-day, Christmas, etc.). They don't always get instant satisfaction, but they don't feel selfish for wanting stuff either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Christie and one I'll bear in mind for when I get to the stage of having my own kids ;)

      Delete
  5. This theme has been running through my mind because I have an almost 5 year old daughter, who's at an age now where she wants a lot of things. I want her to "want" but not in that spoiled kind of way. The tips Christie offers are definitely helpful. Meanwhile, I am going to keep wanting and asking the universe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, raising kinds is such a challenge! I'm quite lucky in that I haven't had to address that issue yet! One day I'm sure I will though... I'd better get working on my own issues first!

      Delete
  6. I saw a quote somewhere the other day that said something like, "Only worry about what everyone else wants if you want everyone but yourself to be happy." So true, right? I've spent way too little time thinking about what I really, really want, and it's time for a change. Lovely inspiration - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Helen, I was raised in the environment where giving is good, receiving bad. And I truly believed in that, only after many years of self-discovery I've realised that it's impossible to give and help others without giving and helping myself first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! As a child I was always told it was better to give than to receive, that you should always give, ask for nothing and take nothing for yourself etc etc. It always left me feeling empty and confused. It took me a long time to learn to ask for what I want, and I'm still working on that now...

      Delete
  8. Love those toddler photos! So sad that there's so much negative energy and struggle around getting clear around something so basic..wants and needs. Being given messages of greed and shame get so deeply rooted that so many women can't even name what they really really want... Loved this article and totally believe in filling our own cups first.. can only give beautifully and well from a place of being filled and balanced. Amazing how much we all struggle with this at some level, whether outright or more subtly.
    Love to you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small children are so good at asking for what they want with absolute conviction and persistence aren't they? I need to take a leaf out of a toddler's book every once in a while!
      It's definitely something I've struggled with a lot, and something I have to mention to almost every lady I read for with very few exceptions.

      Delete